Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My Felt Obsession!

Hi, my name is Sara...and I'm obsessed with felt! For real. 

It all started back before this last holiday when I found a cute little Pin about how to make easy hand warmers for the winter time with felt, rice and lavender.  I decided that would be the most affordable way to give everyone in our families (all 20 of them plus an additional 6 for close friends) a personal and usable gift for Christmas.  They definitely took some time, but I ended up having a blast making them.  I started creating different designs for each to go along with the individuals personality and likes, mixing colors, thread, etc.  The blog I posted ended up getting written about in an issue of Sew Australia Magazine and I was humbled and thrilled that someone had taken notice and liked what I had done.  Ha, I wasn't even sure if people really even read my blog so you can imagine my surprise and excitement.  If you look through previous post you'll see the DIY Hand Warmers one I'm referring to.  Well, the obsession with felt had taken birth and it has just continued since then.  At $0.29 for a sheet of felt and the same for a bunch of thick cross-stitch type thread, it is one of the most affordable crafts to work with.  I of course scanned through Pinterest and found that half the women out there are just as enthusiastic about this wonderful fabric as I am.  Wait, is it really a fabric? What is felt anyway?  Regardless, I have had so much fun with this stuff.  More recently than the hand warmers, I did a post about a felt board I made for my daughter as a learning tool and she has really had a lot of fun with it.  So the list of things to make goes on and on for days! Just try searching the word 'felt' on Pinterest and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Below are some of the other creations I have had fun making and just wanted to share with my readers in case you are in the need to feel inspired.  I have a laundry list of ideas and projects yet to come that I'd like to try and will continue to keep you posted on my progress. If you have any ideas or cool stuff you have made, please leave a comment and share with the rest of us!   We loved to hear about your adventures as well. 

Goooo team FELT! ;o)


This was a cute little gift I made for my daughter this last Valentine's Day.  The mailbox was a cheap purchase from the Target dollar spot and was perfect for my 'love letter' to her.  The back side of the felt envelope has a normal flap you'd see on any old envelope.  I filled it with red and pink hearts I had cut out from sheets of foam from Michael's and wrote little Valentine quotes on them such as Be Mine, Q T Pie, I Love You, Sweetheart, etc.   She still uses the envelope to deliver me 'special' mail with surprise hearts inside.




Okay, this little doll here was not easy..at all. I made my own pattern and just went off creativity and it kind of got, well, complicated.  However, she turned out pretty well.  Looking back it probably would have been a lot easier to make the dress a completely separate piece instead of attached.  The best scenario is making the front side complete and the back side complete and then doing just one stitch all the way around and then add stuffing.   I'm not sure I'll ever venture into making another one, ha, but for the truly daring and confidently creative....go for it!







Now, back to the easy stuff. These corner felt book marks are a no brainer and a nice mind dulling craft that won't leave you confused and frustrated. :o)  There aren't to many instructions here because what you see if exactly what you'll get.  Take two pieces of felt that are cut the same, lay them on top of each other and pin, then sew only one half side together. Voila! You've got yourself a nice bookmark.  If you want to have more fun, monogram the reader's initials on there, or an arrow to mark the space.  For one little boy I did ABC on one side and 123 on the other.  Another one I made a lightning bolt.  You can get really creative with these and personalize them for the reader.





Lastly, my favorite.  The infamous felt face masks we see floating around the internet these days.  I have had so much fun with these and adding my own special stitches or ideas to make them a little more unique.  My husband and I just set up a booth at an art show in Deep Ellum of Dallas this last Sunday and the masks were a huge hit among the younger crowd that came in.  I'll definitely be making more of these to sell and as Halloween gifts for my nieces and friend's kids.  So many options of what you could do!  Here are some of the masks I made and the kids who loved them.  I also had a couple reversible super hero masks that sold before I had thought to take a picture.
Enjoy!

FOX

BUTTERFLY

RACCOON

LION

OWL

Miss Leah enjoying her Butterfly mask

Adorable little Jaxon in his super hero Spiderman mask

3 comments:

  1. Of course my original comment didn't publish but my testing one did! Go figure....I am so amazed at your felt creations!!! Seriously, the masks are amazing. I don't know how you made that stuff up. I wish the kids were young again, lol. I am totally making the bookmarks for my friends for Christmas and teachers too. Seriously, love it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, glad you like them! And you don't need to be a kid..i'll make you a Wonder Woman mask for Halloween! ;)

      Delete