It has been so long since I have written I hadn't even realized it had been about 6 months! Life gets crazy like that sometimes I guess. Then I think about it....with a 3 yr old running around, the start of a new school year where I took on a role as a pre-school teacher and my husband having a work schedule completely opposite of mine, the days seems to speed by. Somewhere in all that busyness I also found out I am pregnant so that took my mind in a whole other direction and it's hard for me to find that alone time needed to sit down and type. Oh the life of motherhood. Yet through it all I have somehow found a way to keep my fitness a priority. (trying through all attempts anyway).
Back in January 2014 I had signed up for a HIIT class at one of our local rec centers. I had finally found a class that kept me motivated, inspired and looking forward to my next class. It wasn't long before my 2 day a week class became 4 days a week and I was starting to see results! That was the kicker..seeing results. Wow, I would look in the mirror and examine myself and actually see changes in my body. I could definitely see a difference in my stomach and arms which now seemed to be firm and tone. My rear end didn't seem to droop as it once had and the cellulite on the back of my thighs was fading. I tend to carry all of my weight in the lower half of my body. Chop it up to genes, but that's how all the women in my family seem to be. As siked as I was for my arms and stomach, my legs and butt were and forever will be my main focus. I don't want to paint the wrong picture about my self image or body weight. I have never necessarily struggled with weight or body issues for any extended amount of time. However, after turning 30 and then having my first child at 32 I realized I couldn't just depend on my daily activity to do the job anymore, I had to put forth effort which was something I had seemed to avoid for so many years. And mind you, let's be honest, with out some type of tone to your muscles, saggy skin and cellulite exist in all shapes and sizes. No mater how slim I was pre-baby to how thick I had gotten post-baby, the consistency of my legs were still the same. Just sad looking. It's one thing to feel hot in a pair of skinny stretch jeans that suck everything in..it's another to actually LOOK hot in a two piece swimsuit!
I was excited to be on this new fitness journey of mine and looking forward to becoming much more confident and fit in my mid 30s than I had ever been. It is NEVER to late to start and the women in these classes showed me just that. My instructor, Debi, is a true motivation in just being her. She is a 40 something mother of 4 with a rock solid body and fitness regimen out of this world. Nothing slows her down but she continues on new fitness adventures and goals constantly! There is something about having an instructor or trainer that exudes everything you are striving to be. (I have had previous ones that almost repelled me from wanting to attend class) Even my classmates are an inspiration in my drive to keep pressing forward. In a high impact interval training and boot camp classes that are nothing short of exhausting, I was among, if not the youngest person in my classes! These women show up 4 days a week and give it their all constantly pushing forward and challenging themselves and me. It is a reminder that fitness is not an age, by any means...it's a lifestyle. Over the next few months I became stronger and healthier than I'd ever been. Learning that your body and fitness is actually 80% food and 20% exercise I had to quickly change my eating habits. I was not about to sweat and put forth that much energy into something only for it to be counteracted by what I chose to put in my mouth. I began to listen to others and do research on clean eating. Reading everything I could and finding recipes that would help make the transition easier not only just for me but for my family as well. Now don't think that I am some expert on health and fitness. Everyday is a challenge and I'm learning more and more as I go, but everything is showing me that we are moving in the right direction.
A few months ago I found out I was pregnant. Although very excited to have another chance at bringing an amazing life into this world I have to admit that the fitness journey I was on did cross my mind. See when I was pregnant with my daughter I wasn't on any type of work out schedule or plan. In fact, working full time and traveling as much as I did was all the work out I needed. (or so I thought) I didn't give much thought to how I ate because everyone around me kept telling me 'oh you're eating for two' or 'this is the one time in life you get to eat whatever you want and not care'. I have now come to realize that was some of the worst advice I have ever received. I gained way more weight than needed or necessary and was left feeling extremely insecure and defeated after giving birth. My body was in a shape and form it had never been in and I wasn't even sure how to begin to get to a healthy place. So this time around is different. I feel much more prepared and educated on how to approach being fit and pregnant at the same time.
The number one thing to remember is being pregnant is not a pass to sit down and put your feet up for nine months! Your body and your baby need you to be fit. Healthy mother means a healthy baby. There are soo many benefits to working out while pregnant and here are just a few:
1. It can make for an easier labor and delivery
2. You produce more endorphins which are always a helpful thing
3. You are likely to gain less unnecessary weight
4. It can aid in constipation
5. You have more energy
6. You will likely experience less leg swelling
7. You may be less prone to morning sickness
8. You'll bounce back faster after delivery
9. Can increase the chance of your child having a healthier heart
10. You keep your immune system humming
And these are just a handful of the many many reasons why being pregnant should not slow you down but only encourage you to press forward.
The point is not to top out during pregnancy but to maintain a healthy lifestyle, so of course their are precautions you must take. First, you must be willing to listen to your body. Watching your breath and heart rate are the most essential to keeping a healthy pace. When you feel your heart rate rising to much or to fast, slow down or take a short break. This is a good time to catch some extra water to stay hydrated and just step side to side. You never want to allow yourself to become out of breath or to a point of dizziness. Know when it's time to slow down and take the more moderate route and then keep a steady pace while breathing slowly. There is no need to push yourself to an uncomfortable level, it's all about keeping your body moving and using those muscles. You'll be surprised at what your body is capable of doing during a pregnancy. I always thought that working my abs or doing any kind of core workout was going to be out of the question, but it's actually just the opposite. Working your core helps to prep your body for a more successful delivery and helps the muscles to achieve a quicker recovery afterwards. So whatever you do, don't count those ab exercises out, do whatever your baby bump will allow you to do and go for it!
Now remember, if you were not working out prior to being pregnant than this is not the time to pick up a new regimen. Perhaps find something less aggressive such as walking, prenatal yoga or simple strength training at home. But if you have been working out, don't let your pregnancy derail you from continuing...it's the best thing for you and your baby!
I know not all of us have the time or access to a class or gym, so I'm going to be posting some exercise routines on my blog that you can do in your living room at home with a simple set of weights. These routines will be good for expecting mothers, those in post baby mode and for those who desire to begin their own fitness journey and need a place to start. So stay tuned, those are soon to come!!
Thanks.

This is awesome! do you mind sharing recipes you found that were healthy and yummy?
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! do you mind sharing recipes you found that were healthy and yummy?
ReplyDelete