Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rags to Rugs!



I always thought these rugs were super cool, but I assumed it was only for the elite of the knitting or crochet community.  That's why I love Pinterest! (as I'm sure most women in the modern world of technology do today). This rag rug was no more than cutting strips of fabric, braiding and a simple whip stitch..oh, and time...yeah, lots and lots of time. ;o)  I have to admit, it was fun and quickly became a soothing project that I could mindlessly do while unwinding at the end of my day. The best part about it, you really can't mess it up!

1. Start by collecting all those old tshirts you were about to throw away or donate to Goodwill
2. Lay the tshirt flat and cut 2 inch wide strips going from one side of the shirt to the other in horizontal rows. This will create several loops of fabric for you. (I avoided using the upper portion of the tshirt, stopping right below the arm holes so that my strips could be as long as possible)


3. Cut each loop, preferably along one of the seams if there is one, allowing them to now become a long narrow strip of fabric.
4.  Do this over and over with each tshirt until you have a sufficient pile of fabric strips.  The more colors and patterns the better if you are wanting to make an eclectic rug like I have here.
5. Take 3 strips of fabric, tie one set of ends together in a big knot and start braiding. And keep braiding!  When you get to the end of a strip of fabric, simply take another one, tie the ends together, and keep going.  I love the ends of the fabric to stick out a little, giving it that more rugged appeal.
6. Keep going until all your fabric is joined together in one braid long enough for the size rug you are trying to achieve.

7.  Now for the stitching part.  Take one end of your braided fabric and start to roll it into a circular pattern.  You'll want to start your whip stitch at the very center and hold tightly together.  Only stitching the very edge of the sides together will help it lay down the way you will need it to.  Keep stitching...and stitching...until there is no braid left to stitch! 
side note:  don't worry about your whip stitch looking perfect or aligned just right.  I found that the more random and natural the stitches were, the more authentic and unique the rug looked.
8.  and finally...Ta Da! (as my 2 year old would say), you have a nice new rag rug!

No comments:

Post a Comment