So I tend to be one of those people who always see something else in old objects. This can make it hard to get rid of things from time to time, but I refuse to be an absolute hoarder so it has to really make sense and already have an idea attached to it in order to get put on the project list. I could take the credit for being so logical and realistic but if I were to have a larger garage, junk room available or a nice storage unit in my backyard, I might not be so willing to see them go! Especially the items that may have some sentimental value to them or were a gift from close friends or family. What do you do with an item when it no longer works with your decor, or you've literally had it hanging on the wall for years now or the chair cushion has seen its last day?? You up-cycle! That's what I did with this large clock my sister Lori gifted me many years ago. This was the perfect Christmas gift. I was younger, single and had just moved into a much larger apartment and was so ready to decorate. But since then I've moved a couple times, my space is no longer just my own and we added a new addition to the family. Even though the clock didn't seem to fit in any of the rooms or decor we currently have going on, I just really didn't want to part with it. So I had an idea....check it out!
 |
| BEFORE |
- Always make sure you remove the clock box before painting. It is so much easier that way.
- Before painting over the numbers, I stuck thumb tacks on the side edge of clock to mark where the 12, 3, 6 and 9 were located so I had a better chance of lining things up write.
- I suggest a thin coat of primer first just to make the new paint job stick and look much cleaner
- Get creative! You don't necessarily have to just write new numbers. Paint a picture, create a pattern, or even modge-podge your favorite picture to the surface. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as you can reattach the hands properly afterwards.
- If the original clock box or hands are bent, not working or you'd just like new ones, Michael's has them in various sizes and colors for an inexpensive price.
 |
| during... | | |
 |
| AFTER! |
No comments:
Post a Comment