Thursday, November 21, 2013

Clean It Up


So of all the crafty organized people I have had the pleasure to encounter, I have to say my sister Lori ranks right up there at the top.  Her house is unbelievably organized (down to her pantry & labels) and every room has clever & chic decor making it look like a page from a magazine. The best part about it is she does it all on a budget!  Being financially savvy has been apart of Lori since she became a wife & mother at the young age of 20 and it has only flourished since then.  I love walking up to her house when in town for visits and admiring her latest seasonal decor adorning her porch.  It's like a warm welcome for friends and family before you even enter her house. But my most absolute favorite time of the year at Lori's house is Christmas. It's like walking into a beautiful winter wonderland accompanied with hints of cinnamon & peppermint in the air and classic holiday carols in the background.  I don't know how she does it.  It's not over done, it's not corny in anyway, it's simply inspiring! So when I walked into her adorable and functioning laundry room a few months back and saw she was using a homemade laundry detergent, I had to have the recipe!  It seemed so logical and easy I wondered why I hadn't done it before.  Now that I've been using it myself for awhile I have to say it is so much better than the expensive chemical filled garbage I had been using before.  Our clothes are clean, smell good and have absolutely no ingredients that could be harmful to us, which makes me especially happy with a 2 year old running around here.

So here is her fabulous recipe:
1 (4lb) box of super washing soda
1 (4lb) box of baking soda
1 (4lb) box of borax
3 regular size bars of Fels Naptha soap.  If you choose to use Zote or Dr Bonner's, you don't need to use as much because the bars are very large size. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 bars will be enough.

Use a cheese grater and shred soap into a large container.  Pour the rest of all the ingredients in with the shredded soap and mix very well.  Some people like to add several drops of their favorite essential oils for additional scent.  I chose peppermint for this go round, but lavender seems to be a popular choice as well.  Use 2 large tablespoons per load and it will last you months!

Enjoy your homemade, safe and budget savvy laundry detergent!





1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This was the most amazing compliment ever!! Thank you-
    God created home for family and I am so thankful you are a part of mine :)

    ReplyDelete